Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Signs of Games Past

 Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people.”

William Butler Yeats

I have two stand-up, flip page easel folios I use when running game events. They fold up flat, easily fold out into a standalone display, and inform attendees what game I’m hosting (and some other details, like rules summaries or historical context). I offered to loan them to my wife for a conference she was attending. So I had to remove all the letter-sized signs I’d slipped into the inserts; since I just keep adding signs and never really cleared it out, it reminded me of all the various games I’ve run over the past 10 years at regional game conventions and local game days.

Signs at game events in any venue — conventions, libraries, museums, game days, hobby stores — remain essential to informing both participants and onlookers what’s happening. As a host I often stand ready seeking to recruit players or talk about the game (especially if it’s one I designed), but sometimes I’m distracted setting up or running the event. Signs tempt people to stop and stay a while, if only to read the sign, but perhaps to watch for a few minutes, ask questions, or even participate.

Occasionally I read about convention-goers lamenting the lack of signs for games — particularly the British-style “demonstration games” — leaving them to wonder what period and scenario is on the table and what rules players are using. It’s been standard protocol to prepare signs for my games for years, going back to the early 2000s when I was primarily running roleplaying game events. At most events where I’ve hosted games, players simply show up at the table to play...no pre-registration or sign-up necessary. Once I’m set up, I spend much of my time trying to lure errant gamers into my events. Although I’ve learned recently when attending conventions with my son that the two of us starting a game attracts onlookers, if not actual players.

Preparing a new miniature wargaming event takes extra time and effort beyond simply running an established game from my repertoire. I have to design the parameters of the scenario, choose an appropriate game system, prepare terrain, and often paint figures...not to mention set everything up and playtest it to work out any issues. If I’m running several games at a convention, I’ll frequently prepare a brand-new scenario, with an old favorite to back it up; or I’ll draw on my collections of figures and terrain for something a bit easier to prep.

I’m already working on a few new games to run for upcoming conventions this fall and winter. But looking back I have a solid repertoire of games. Most cater to kids or newcomers, though I’ve had plenty of interested veteran wargamers at the table. I’ve listed event titles or, in some cases, general game types, with the program description or a few broad notes:

Valleyof the Ape: Command a group of Victorian-era treasure-seekers investigating a hidden jungle valley, avoiding hazards, skirmishing with other explorers, and hunting the giant ape who guards ancient ruins. Who can find the most treasure and take down the giant ape first? I run this with unpainted 54mm Armies in Plastic figures, but it’s a good game for kids to learn wargaming basics and not worry about damaging painted miniatures.

Endor Patrol: An Imperial scout patrol sets out to deploy two sensor arrays deep within the forest of Endor...and an Ewok force waits to ambush the soldiers who’ve invaded their habitat and attacked their people. Run with unpainted 54mm Star Wars: Command figures that came and went on the market. Another fun kids game with a Star Wars theme.

Dragon Rampant: Since acquiring some wonderful 54mm painted plastic Lord of the Rings toys years ago I’ve run a few scenarios using Daniel Mersey’s Dragon Rampant rules. I have enough figures for three units of Rohirrim and a few of orcs, including scouts and warg riders. I pit the two forces against each other in “Rohirrim Patrol” among some rocky outcrops and in “Hungry Orcs” with a farm complete with a herd of goats (orc food) as the objective. I have a few ent figures still to paint and flock (not really 54mm scale, but decent enough) for an engagement at the edge of Fangorn Forest I’d like to run someday.

A Game which Will Live in Infamy: December 7, 1941. Fly Japanese Aichi D3A dive bombers against the USS California at Pearl Harbor...or pilot one of the few planes the Americans could get airborne or crew the California’s anti-aircraft guns. I use a streamlined version of the Wings of Glory rules for younger players. I’ve also added the USS Nevada making its way across the harbor as an additional target...and more anti-aircraft guns against the Japanese. Each player for either side gets a briefing card for their particular role in the attack, with follow-up information on the back to help put the game in historical context. The game emerged from some personal reflection on playing the “bad guys” in wargames.

Gridded Naval Wargames: I’ve used these basic rules from Bob Cordery to explore a host of naval actions. “The Battle of the River Plat”e recreates that famous engagement from December 1939 with the German Graf Spee against a task force of British cruisers. “SOPAC Patrol” pits American PT boats against Japanese destroyers in the “Slot” near Guadalcanal (and I run a “daylight” training cruise followed by a “night action” battle, though the fog-of-war rules for that are still a bit finicky). I’ve also run various American Civil War ironclads engagements using the rules, mostly fictitious battles just to get a host of ships on the table blasting away at each other.

Panzer Kids: I’ve run a host of scenarios to promote my kid- and beginner-friendly World War II tank game rules. At first I’d run a basic desert skirmish scenario to teach the rules...but they’re really easy enough I can explain them in a few minutes before getting to more substantial engagements. In “Charge at Tel el Aqqaqir” tanks of the British 9th Armored Brigade assault the German Afrika Corps line along the Rahman Track near Tel el Aqqaqir, part of the initial thrust of General Montgomery’s Operation Supercharge to break through Axis lines after repelling the enemy from el Alamein. Vichy’s Last Charge” uses 6mm micro-scale tanks to replay a fight from Operation Torch, where a Vichy French force of R-35 tanks sorties to retake an airfield, but are intercepted by American M3 Stuarts and a few self-propelled guns near an Algerian village. With the addition of some Italian tanks to my collection I’ve run “Italian Desert Blitz;” in February 1942, as British forces retreat toward Tobruk, tanks of the Italian Ariete Armored Division surprise rearguard British armored unit defending a village, hoping to delay the Axis advance while they try to evacuate with as much precious petrol as their lorries can carry. I’m developing a scenario for post-D-Day northwest Europe in which American tanks try to capture bridges guarded by German armor and anti-tank units...but I still have a few tanks to paint for that one....

I used to have a solid repertoire of roleplaying game scenarios, along with a schedule of conventions for them, but the past 15 years I’ve not run many, veering more toward miniature wargames. Most of those used West End Games’ Star Wars Roleplaying Game system, easy to teach and reliant on easy-to-find six-sided dice. I’ve used the system to run scenarios for Pulp Egypt and Heroes of Rura-Tonga, two of my system-neutral sourcebooks. I regret most cons with a roleplaying game track these days overwhelmingly turn to fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons and other more popular fare, with occasional other odd games; it suits my current trend in gaming, though I suppose I’m always up for running something if the opportunity arises.

I have big ambitions for other miniature wargames I’d like to run, but the ones I’ve listed above are the ready-to-go options right now. As Skirmish Kids nears publication I’m considering some basic training scenarios for those across various historical periods and genres. And I never know when the mood for something different might hit me, either in themes or new rules that engage my interests. We’ll see where the future leads.

Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom. One can find it, live it, be fortified by it, do wonders through it, but one cannot communicate and teach it.”

Hermann Hesse



No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome civil discussion and polite engagement. We reserve the right to remove comments that do not respect others in this regard.